Thursday, March 20, 2014

1850-St. Louis, Missouri




Today Frederick Dent Grant was born. He is as strong as an ox. The Mrs. and I are very lucky for such a healthy baby. He is our first child, hopefully the first of many. There are complicated times here in the West. We are a slave state here in Missouri. We used to be a balanced country. The North and the South. Eleven free states and eleven slave states. When California came into the country as a free state forces became unbalanced and we had the lower hand against the North. Last month there was a new compromise formed that stated the Utah and New Mexico territories have popular sovereignty towards slavery. For sure the territories will vote pro slavery. They have rich soil in the West. There will be no possible way to farm all of that land without a few slaves to plant and tend the land. I myself have visited the western territories during the war with Mexico. The scenery is beautiful and reminds me of how great our nation is. We are a strong country that no one will dare to challenge. Slavery is required for our nation to thrive. The daft folk in the North don’t understand how life works here in the South. We need a strong president who will look into the issue that is the North.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your son sir! In relation to your argument, I do believe you have some historical facts out of line, and incorrect. I disagree with your views on slavery, and even though it is a part of life, that is exactly the problem. I do wish you would alter your current viewpoints to those more in favor of the free nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having fought for that beautiful land, I'm glad you enjoy the natural beauty and potential there. I do agree that slavery will likely try do spread there, but what had the North ever done to you for you to want to "look into" them? I am a fellow southerner but disagree with you strong advocation of slavery in these new territories.

    ReplyDelete