Tuesday, April 1, 2014

December 24, 1860-Galena, Illinois

After many years of financial disappointment in Missouri, I turned to my father for help. I took a clerkship in a leather goods store owned by my father and operated by my brothers Orvil and Simpson in Galena, Illinois. After the election the Republicans of Galena, supporters of Abraham Lincoln, held a celebration in the Grant store. I helped them serve oysters and liquor. I have not lived in Illinois long enough to be eligible to vote, but I have not decided about the merits of Lincoln and his opponent, Stephen Douglas. Lincoln is against the spread of slavery, supports homesteads, and increasing tariffs. I agree with slavery staying in the South. I also agree with homesteads because I recently moved from the West. I usually would not be against tariffs but this year it would be more expensive to purchase leather for the shop. Douglas also is against the spread of slavery, though he is against homesteads and tariffs while Lincoln is for. They are both balanced candidates. It is now Christmas Eve, a few minutes after dusk. I usually have almost nothing for gifts, so Julia has to make them for our children. Julia asks me not to get her anything because we can’t afford it, but this year will be different. I have saved up to buy my wife a necklace, made from the purest of gold. It cost a fortune so I hope she likes it. I will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Im sorry you are struggling right now but maybe if you saw how good slavery is you wouldn't be in this hard spot. Abraham Lincoln will not do whats best for our country and you are naive if you don't see it.

    Belle Boyd

    ReplyDelete