Thursday, April 24, 2014

July 4, 1863-Vicksburg

 I told my men, "I propose to fight it out on this line, even if it takes all summer!" And we did fight. We fought until we lost many of our men. We pulled back for a short while and slowly pushed through. The soldiers fighting besides me, those are the soldiers that I trust with my life, the soldiers I trust with my country. It began when we came in from the east and pushed the Confederate troops to defend the town. We attacked in assaults on May 18. After seeing that little progress was being made, I decided that it would be better to siege Vicksburg. We had artillery firing at the town on three sides and gun-ships firing from the Mississippi. With Hell raining down on them I would expect they would give up pretty easily. It took 6 long weeks. I missed my family, I missed home, I missed having a drink with my friends. But this is what you can expect from war. War is a bad thing, but it's what I'm good at. My country is counting on me. My people are the only things driving me forward. They are my fuel to success. It would be an honor to be one of the few that bring this country together, one free nation.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Even though we have upset and killed many, it is still go to be untied once again under the union. This "short" war was not exactly what we expected and it ended in the death of many brave Americans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You have really done a great thing for our country. I agree, being in the army is something you are very good at. Being someone watching at home, it is nice to know that the Union has a general like you out in the war!

    Angelina Grimke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you i really do but what did you expect while going into war with the south. Sorry but we are going to win, and its going to be really hard on you and your soldiers after fighting for so long and so hard just to loose and have all for you hard work put to waste. I hope you already knew thins and if you didn't, please take my words as a blessing. Don't make me tell you I told you so.
    xoxo,
    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I have been instructed to inform you, through this strange medium, of a very important conversation between Jefferson Davis and one of his minions that I witnessed yesterday. His army is battered, and a draft was put in place, leading to several revolts among the people there. This might mean that the Union has gained an edge.

    - Mary Elizabeth Bowser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Grant, your leadership in this war has been a great inspiration for me, Colonel of the Maine 20th. I fully support your military actions, and wish you the best of luck in your tremendous task. God be with you and watch over you in your time in harms way.
    J.L. Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete