Thursday, May 1, 2014

April 16, 1865-Galena, Illinois

 Tragic news has reached us in Galena. Our nation has lost a great leader, and I have lost a great friend. Abraham Lincoln was an amazing man who accomplished much in his sadly shortened life. He was shot by John Wilkes Boothe himself. I was supposed to be there with him. The only reason I survived and am here today is  because Julia refused to go. She and the First Lady did not get along well. I had to lie to the President himself and tell him we were visiting our children, well it wasn't completely a lie. I was going to be part of the assination. Maybe if I was there I could have stopped the murder. Just maybe..... I will give as speech mourning the death of Lincoln. Then Andrew Jackson will be announced as the new President of the United States. The Civil War is won the the bright side. Many lives have have been ended, but for a greater good. There will be a lot of rebuilding of communities and lives in the south. After fighting and spending so much money on this long war we will have to spend more on reconstruction. 

3 comments:

  1. I am deeply sorry for your loss. Our nobel president was a great friend of mine as well. I know you may be feeling like part of his death was your fault but stop this mindset immediately. This assassination was a huge plan created by evil masterminds. There is nothing you could have done. I am just happy that you are alive.

    Frederick Douglass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am deeply sorrowful for our nations great loss, and we all wish we could have done something to stop it. Don't blame yourself for anything, there is no way that you could have known this would happen. Lets just hope that our nation can make it through this loss without too much damage.
    J.L. Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am very upset over the loss of Abraham Lincoln and the actions John Wilkes Booth had carried out. While his actions were very brave they were also very futile. I do not understand why he thought that would avenge the South's loss.

    ReplyDelete